Thursday, May 7, 2009

May showers?

I thought it was April showers bring May flowers but it seems to be May showers so does that mean June flowers?

I've been trying to figure out what bothered me about the Kindle that I spoke of in yesterday's post and I think I know what it is. When I was a teenager, I bought a cassette recorder/player. When my dad saw it, the expression on his face was so perplexed that it has haunted me to this day. He could not figure out how it worked and it was like he saw a ghost. It was more technology than he could comprehend. Tomorrow is the anniversary of my Dad's death and I think he's been in the back of my mind. Now I wonder if I am having the same reaction to this Kindle that he had to the cassette recorder. I am amazed that people think it will replace books. We've always had books. Books have been a big part of my life. We had a metal shelving closet full of books when I was younger, and I think I read every one of them. When I went to school and discovered the library, I would check out two each week. I would read one and my mom would read the other one and then we would switch. We read the entire series of the Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner. Isn't that something that I remember the author's name after all these years? This went on until I graduated. In high school, I liked biographies which is what I still prefer. When I discussed the Kindle with my daughter last night, she said it made her sad. She inhereted my love of reading and she can't comprehend a world without books. She even loves the smell of them. I've been pretty good about technology. I am computer literate, I caught on to email when my daughter left for college, I pick up my MP3 player before I head out for a run, I can pay my bills online, balance my checkbook online, and now I can even blog, but I am just not ready to embrace this whole Kindle thing just yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment