Thursday, May 21, 2009

Farah

Everyone is asking me if I saw the special about Farah Fawcett. I think they assume since I had a similar (she had anal and I had colon and the difference is measured in just inches) cancer that I would have watched and they were right-I did! Farah was diagnosed the same year, 2006, that I was, and I am thankful that mine has not returned...yet. The one thing that bothered me about the show and they didn't discuss, was why she didn't have a portacath installed. Yes, her viens were worn out and damaged from the chemo, but that wouldn't have been the case if she would have had a port installed. Accessing the port feels like a mesquito bite so it isn't painful at all versus the time, pain, and agony they showed as the nurses tried to tap into a vein that would accept the needle after multiple chemo treatments. Now getting the portacath installed and removed wasn't a day in the park but the advantages far outweighed that discomfort. On May 30th, I can say that I have been cancer free for three years and I will feel more confident about remaining that way as each year passes!

No comments:

Post a Comment